Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Last Word of a Bluebird

The Last Word of a Bluebird
As told to a child

by Robert Frost

As I went out a Crow
In a low voice said, "Oh,
I was looking for you
To Tell Lesley (will you?)
That her litlle Bluebird
Wanted me to bring word
That the north wind last night
That made the stars bright
And made ice on the trough
Almost made him cough
His tail feathers off.
He just had to fly!
But he sent her Good-By,
And said to be good,
And wear her red hood,
And look for skunk tracks
In the snow with and ax--
And do everything!
And perhaps in the spring
He would come back and sing."




I think this is a very cute poem.
The words are not too fancy or hard and complicated like most of the poems are, and I think that these word choices determines the whole atmosphere of the poem, which I believe is not common. Although there might be some poems that the words inside it support the poem, I have never seen a poem that the words DETERMINE the atmosphere SO SPECIFICALLY like this.
The reason I believe that the poem's atmosphere and mood is well described in it is that the short words that the children might usually use shows that this poem is speaking to a child and trying to match the child's visions and word skills. what if most of the words are deliberately designed and constructed in that space to tell people how high and noble that poem sounds like? I dont think poems are better when they are delicately considered through to created it. Poems are natural and easy so that any people of any age and ability can deeply understand it; and this is what this poem is like. It is obvious that Robert Frosting did not excessively considered through for a huge amount of time to make it artificially, excessively beautiful. That is why I love this poem. It is just simple, yet come to mind easily. There was no need for deliberate attempt to make the poem big. With just plain words, this poem remains in one's mind.

No comments: